Visit me on Etsy, join my mailing list or become a Facebook fan.

Better yet, do all three!

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Let's talk about armpits!

Seriously, I want to talk about armpits. Unless you're a coworker I've given this url to, in which case you should skip this post. In fact, you should entirely forget that I have armpits. Why don't you skip directly to the laundry detergent post. That's a nice post. Everyone else, you can keep reading.

So I tend to DIY things. I always have. Since I've moved on from soap to other body products, I've seen several recipes for deodorant and I'm a bit intrigued. I don't really like using antiperspirants. I keep doing it because, well, you have to right? Don't want to be stinky. But I have issues with discoloration and ingrown hairs. I'm very self-conscious about it. I remember at prom I didn't want to raise my arms and now 10 years later, it still bothers me. Underarms shouldn't be that big a deal... Also, antiperspirants always leave that film that never seems to wash off. Coating your skin that completely can't be good for it. It just can't be.

So I started reading labels, taking what I know of ingredients and labeling from soaping. Here's what I've come up with.

Since antiperspirants reduce sweating, that makes them a drug. There's a drug statement on the back. They are evaluated by the FDA as a drug. Think about that. It's a DRUG product that you use every day without even a second thought. Wow.

Antiperspirants contain aluminum. Yeah, you're rolling aluminum under your arms. Aluminum from antiperspirants has been very loosely linked to increased risk of breast cancer and Alzheimer's. People without fully functioning kidneys are advised to avoid antiperspirants. Now, all these "dangers" are completely unproven. There's no solid evidence that antiperspirants have any health effects whatsoever. There are also no studies that clearly refute these alleged effects, so I list them so you can decide what you think.

They work by plugging your sweat ducts. It absorbs into your skin causing it to swell which pinches off the sweat glands. Ew.

I've never been one to medicate unnecessarily and I prefer to use more natural products where I can. There's just no reason not to. So last week I decided to ditch my antiperspirant and give deodorant a try. If you want to try and your not sure if you have a deodorant or antiperspirant, just look at the back. Antiperspirants have drug labeling, deodorants have cosmetic labeling. So if the back looks like the back of an aspirin bottle, you've got yourself an antiperspirant.

I went with Tom's, which actually doesn't have great online reviews. But they have it at my grocery store and I thought it would be fine for a trial. If it really sucks, I will know not to bother putting time, money and effort into trying out recipes to make my own. If it works...well, I hope it works.

So far, I'm happy with it. It feels completely different when you put it on. It feels like solid lotion (which if you've never tried, you definitely should).  I doesn't last all day, but it lasts through my work day. And yesterday I went out to the park in the morning for 2-3 hours and I was still sweet-smelling when I got home. No final word yet on the skin issues I had with antiperspirants, but I do know it doesn't leave that film, so that's a good sign.

So far, it's a positive trial. If you have any thoughts or suggestions on a good deodorant recipe or different brand to try, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment