Visit me on Etsy, join my mailing list or become a Facebook fan.

Better yet, do all three!

Friday, October 11, 2013

Hey, you got mud on your face

Well, I do anyway. And you should. Since I've started making my own, I really love clay masks. French green clay...sea clay...kaolin clay...all of it. But today, it's calcium bentonite clay.

If you google this stuff, you will find people that say it is a cure for everything. You can even buy it in pills. I don't take the pills and I don't think it will do even a quarter of what everyone says it will do. But it does make awesome face masks. It's commonly used in detox wraps, masks and soaks. The idea is that the natural negative ionic charge in the clay draws positively charged toxins to itself and helps draw them out of your body.  And the bonus is that it's pretty readily available. I bought a big ol' giant jar from my local natural foods store.

Unlike the French green clay and honey mask, this one dries  solid.

So here's what you do:

Take about a tablespoon of calcium bentonite clay. It's kind of a pale greenish color and very powdery.
Mix that with about the same amount of raw apple cider vinegar. You can really use whatever liquid you want - water, honey, skin-friendly oil, milk....For bentonite clay, I just prefer apple cider vinegar. When you add the vinegar to the clay it will fizz up like baking soda and vinegar.
Stir until thoroughly mixed. And notice what I'm using? Glass bowl, plastic spoon. You don't want to use any metal with calcium bentonite clay. Metal can eliminate the natural negative charge in the clay and reduce some of it's benefits. Stick to plastic, glass or wood.
Once it's thoroughly mixed, spread it on your face. It's best to avoid your eyes and lips, although this mix is completely non-toxic and you could eat it if you wanted to. It would taste like mud mixed with vinegar though. Doesn't sound too appetizing.
As it dries, you can feel the mask tighten. You can also feel your pulse in your face. Remember how I said this mask dries?
I meant it. Total scale-face. Now, if you reach this point and you try to wipe your face with a washcloth, it will hurt. Like...well, pulling scales across your face. Do your face a favor, and wet the mask down first. If you get it nice and wet, it will soften up the clay and let you wipe it off easily.

Afterword, you skin may be quite red. Mine gets red and blotchy. That will fade quickly. It's a result one of the benefits of the mask - increased circulation to your skin. Afterwords you'll want to moisturize. I like to use a cocoa butter & coconut oil body butter. But you could use straight coconut or olive oil or whatever facial moisturizer you prefer.

Give it a try and leave me a comment. Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment